The NYDA Grant Programme is designed to provide young entrepreneurs with an opportunity to access both financial and non- financial business development support in order to enable them to establish or grow their businesses.
The qualifying criteria includes:
- Are youth 18-35 years
- Youth with skills, experience or; with the potential skill, appropriate for the enterprise that they conduct or intend to conduct.
- Are South African citizens
- Are resident in South Africa;
- Members of entities should comprise 100% south African youth citizen
- Operate business within the borders of South Africa.
- Are adequately involved in the day-to-day operation and management of the business with at least one or more of the members being a fulltime employee of the business, especially the main applicant.
- Have completed life skills training and business management training programmes or related programmes as per recommendation from client(s) assessment.
- Have a business mentor and/or a coach approved by NYDA or must be allocated a business mentor by NYDA post application approval.
- Have relevant qualifications or business and/or technical experience including proven entrepreneurship business experience where applicable.
- Require the grant for a viable business idea.
- Previous NYDA Micro Loan Clients who accessed loans up to a maximum of R50,000 with paid up accounts will be eligible to access grant funding.
- Operate either informally or formally; generally recognized as micro enterprises (e.g. street traders, vendors, emerging enterprises);
- Have a profit motive and are commercially viable and sustainable;
- Individual entity must have a bank account.
- For cooperatives, they must have or be willing to form a group of minimum 5 persons.
- Upon approval of grant, if applicant is employed full time, he/she may be required to resign from employment and provide grant officer with proof of resignation;
- Where the entity constitutes more than one member, this will apply to the member with highest shareholding and is operationally involved in the business.
Thresholds / Type of businesses / Grant amount ranges
Idea generation and survivalist (start-ups)
Grant: R1,000 – R10,000
Start-ups PTY and cooperatives
Grant: R10,001 - R50,000
Growth stage PTY and cooperatives
Grant: R50,001 - R100,000
Expansion stage PTY and cooperatives
Grant: R100,001 – R200,000*
*For agriculture and technology related projects the maximum threshold is R250,000.00
- You must apply 3 months before you turn 35 years.
- Submission of all required documentation
- Proof of attending Business Management Training course.
- Business Pitch presentation of 10 minutes – in person or telephonically.
- Due Diligence assessment conducted by the NYDA official on the business.
How to access the NYDA Grant Programme
Contact our Call Centre on: 0800 52 52 52 Or visit your nearest NYDA branch.
Application Form (Download here)